Monday 1 February 2010

Ready mixed paints, Dulwich

I wanted to do a bit of research for a couple of signs I spotted in the Richmond area but instead I've been spending some time telling my students about Argentine writer Tomás Eloy Martínez, who died yesterday. Sad news. I was looking forward to his next novel... If you haven't read La novela de Perón / The Peron Novel (1985) or Santa Evita / id. (1995), I would strongly recommend them to you (El vuelo de la reina or Purgatorio are excellent as well but they haven't been translated into English, so you'd have to read them in Spanish).
Since I don't have much time now, I've chosen a sign I don't have much to write about. My guess is it would have been for a local shop rather than a specific brand.

Noted For ...
Genuine Turpentine
Linseed Oil, Boiled Oil
White Lead, Colors, Etc.
Ready Mixed Paints

I suppose 'Boiled Oil' would have been boiled linseed oil, which is used as a paint binder or wood finish.
This is not the only sign on this wall. It looks as if there was a longer one slightly above this one (bits of white paint and black letters can be seen outside the frame). Additionally it is still possible to read a couple of lines from an earlier sign painted within the same frame:
Kitchen Utensils
Brooms, Pails ...

Location: Pellatt Road / Picture taken on: 24/08/2009

No comments: