Tuesday 2 November 2010

Baker & pastry cook, Catford

Why were such small letters used when there is so much space? Actually this sign was painted on at least two occasions but the main part, including the name of the store, has almost disappeared.

Sangley [*]
Baker & Pastry Cook
All Goods Handmade
On the Premises
Bread and Rolls
Fresh Daily

*: I am not absolutely sure this is correct. The letters that can still be seen in the upper fifth of the sign are "S...LEY". Since Sangley Road runs nearby, that seems a reasonable assumption. However it doesn't seem to belong to the sign advertising the bakery and may well have been promoting a completely different business altogether as another line at least was written with the same font further down at the same level as "Baker & Pastry Cook". A closer look at the upper part also shows a line was written in red. My guess is this was the name of the baker.

Location: Muirkirk Road / Picture taken on: 23/07/2009

5 comments:

Nutmegger Workshop said...

It does appear as though the white space could have been occupied by the more artistic rendering of the business name. I'm sure it was a beauty in its time! It may have also had a thick border? The right side seems to be darker as if there was a border, but maybe not. Sure is fun imagining what it may have looked like.

Sebastien Ardouin said...

Indeed the font used to write the business name, which formed a curve, seems to be more elegant than the rather plain one used on the text that has survived to this day. It also looks as if there was some shadow added to create some depth.
The letters in red seems to have been pretty ordinary but they formed a curve too, and this might have helped to catch the attention of passersby.

Marmoset said...

Ah, so that's where it is! I saw this some months ago but when I came back with a camera I couldn't remember where I'd seen it.

I spotted this one today - no camera but worth a revisit and this time I've noted it on my map!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Woolwich+Arsenal+Railway+Station,+SE18+6EU,+UK&sll=54.918214,-1.387174&sspn=0.007141,0.012939&gl=uk&g=Eglinton+Street,+Sunderland&ie=UTF8&hq=Woolwich+Arsenal+Railway+Station&hnear=Woolwich+Arsenal+Railway+Station,+Woolwich+New+Rd,+London+SE18+6EU,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.479739,0.068665&spn=0.007738,0.012939&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.479548,0.068708&panoid=_5g7nLs1WHOzuPT1xY6MHg&cbp=12,22.44,,2,2.8

Nutmegger Workshop said...

I always forget where I last saw something too. Plenty of ghost signs here in Portland (Oregon). Short of marking a map when I spot signs (never carry a map), I really don't know how to remember these things. Frustrating.

Anyway, I think this wording on this sign about goods baked on premises and being fresh daily has inspired me to make a few signs intended for use in a kitchen, for someone who loves to bake. I'll email you some layouts once I have them. Have a few old frames at home that would work perfectly.

Nutmegger Workshop said...

Here's what we came up with ...

http://www.nutmeggerworkshop.com/2010/11/old-bakery-shop-signs.html