Friday 30 March 2012

Fancy goods, Surbiton

Decades ago this shop must have been a favourite with kids from Surbiton, who would have glanced through the windows at the things they could play with. Yet before that something completely different was available in these premises.

Dolls
Toys
Games
And
Fancy
Goods

A close look reveals this ghost sign replaced an earlier one. However, with only a few letters still visible, it is difficult to identify what kind of trade was conducted there.

Dolls
Toys
Games

And
Fancy
Goods

A clue may be found on the side of the building. The sun was badly positioned (or was it me who wasn't there at the right time?) but it is still possible to read what was painted there.

Ladies
Tailor

Did this relate to the aforementioned early version of the ghost sign? I can't really tell.

Somehow for years I felt a bit like the kids. I used to look at this ghost sign through the windows of the Kingston - Dorking bus, whenever we went for a walk through the North Downs and the Greensands. Finally last weekend, on our way to Polesden Lacey, we took an earlier bus to Surbiton so I could finally take my pictures, and caught the 465 from there.

Location: Brighton Road / Pictures taken in March 2012

2 comments:

helen said...

Ghosts upon ghosts and what a lovely building!

Fencing services Surbiton said...

I love this kind of post. I have enjoyed this post very much. Thanks for sharing.